Thursday, February 18, 2016

Here goes nothing

My two year diagnosis anniversary is coming up soon. Not sure how I feel about this yet because I feel like I have been sick all my life. I was still an active normal kids, but slowly as I got older I just couldn't shake the constant feeling of just plain awful feeling. A little under a year before my diagnosis I would get what I thought was the stomach flu once a month. Until February 2014 when it lasted over a week. I made an appointment with my primary doctor and she told me I had IBS. She gave me medication to take next time I had a flare up.
I had one and the medication did not help. I never have experienced pain like that before. I had to go to the ER, where they gave me pain and nausea shot. Those shots were the sweet relief I was looking for. They did a CT scan of my pelvic region. They found that the end of my illium, where my small intestine and colon meet, was severely swollen. When the doctor came in the room the look on his face had me convinced I was dying. He looked at me and said I'm sorry to tell you that you have Crohns diesease. I felt relief.
I know i said relief! I like many people had no idea Crohns was more the stomach aches and diarrhea. I feel silly now for even feeling that way, because let me tell you two years in relief is all i want to feel again. Since there is no cure yet I think we are all right now just searching for the relief. Some would even just take one day. We all know that one day of relief is never enough when those symptoms start coming over you like a wave a terror. Just a slight stomach twinge can make me break out in tears. Thinking please no don't let this be another flare up. That is my struggle now, not just getting my body through Crohns but my mind as well.


Until next time I wish you all some sweet relief,
Cassie Walker

No comments: